Librarian certification for public library directors has been a part of Wisconsin law since 1921 when the legislature passed the first comprehensive state public librarian certification law. The concern was then, and continues to be, that the public libraries of the state be headed by qualified library personnel, assuring a high level of professional management and administration of Wisconsin's library resources, programs and services. Under the new rules, there is modification in coursework content required to receive Grade II or III certification.
- Allow grade II certificates to be issued to applicants holding a bachelor's degree along with a minor in library science if the minor includes or is supplemented by 3 semester credits of coursework, or the equivalent, in advanced public library administration.
- Update public librarian certification requirements for grade II and III certification. Some of the areas of coursework have been changed to reflect the changes in the nature of public library operation. The total number of credits required to be completed will still be a total of 12; however, the rule will provide flexibility as to how those 12 credits may be earned.
- Require certification renewal to include at least 10 hours of technology-related training.
- Modify the temporary certification requirements for grade II and III certification to reflect the new coursework required to get a public librarian certification and require at least one course to be completed annually until the certification requirements are complete.
The current requirements for public librarian certification became effective June 1, 2011.
Note: Word documents, with the exception of the signature and date, can be completed online.
- Application for Public Librarian Certification
- Activity Report for Continuing Education
- Annual Summation of Continuing Education Activities
- Certification Manual for Wisconsin Public Library Directors
- Continuing Education Validators and Consultants from Public Library Systems
- Courses Applicable for Certification at Wisconsin Institutions
- FAQ about Wisconsin Public Library Director Certification
- Wisconsin Administrative Code for Public Library Certification (Chapter PI 6, Subchapter II)